A Glimpse into the Past……..
In the early fifties, the need for a school to provide education for the population of children living in attap houses in the area surrounding Leong San See Temple led to the opening of Leong San School in 1954. Within a few months, the classes were overcrowded. There was an apparent need for more classrooms.
The site adjacent to Leong San See Temple along Race Course Road, which was initially designed for the construction of another temple, Mee Toh Temple, was proposed for the building of Mee Toh School instead.
The ground-breaking ceremony was officiated on 26 May 1954, by Mr Lee Jun Chen, the then Chairman of the Buddhist Federation.
The name Mee Toh means ‘Eternal Brightness’. A school flag bearing the prominent Buddhist symbol of the Swastika and the colours of red, white and green was designed and is raised as Mee Tohians sing the school song each day to date.
Mee Toh School started off with Chinese as the medium of instruction until 1957 when it became a Government-Aided School. In 1985, the first batch of Primary Six pupils took the PSLE with English as the first Language.
Today, the school continues the focus on holistic learning and character development of the children where values are espoused through the motto. Mee Toh School is determined to continue to provide a conducive environment for teaching and learning.